DTOC MISSION STATEMENT
The Downtown Optimist Club of Meridian is committed to providing members of the business community of Meridian and Lauderdale County the opportunity to aid and encourage the development of the youth of our community in an environment rich in fellowship and personal growth.
- To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
- To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet.
- To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
- To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
- To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
- To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
- To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
- To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
- To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
- To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
Optimist International adopted this creed in 1922. It was originally published in 1912 by Christian D. Larson, a prolific writer. Larsen believed that people have tremendous latent powers, which could be harnessed for success with the proper attitude.